I have just completed two more little story books of imaginary creatures, which means I now have three. I really love these and can’t wait to give them to my two adorable little grandkids. And maybe keep one as a spare, ready for when grandchild number three arrives. Ha ha!
But in the meantime I wanted to tell you about my happy little accidents.
Firstly, I had written the words “let’s go walkies” on the wrong book. Oh no!!!
I was so cross with myself. It was written with a permanent black pigma pen and there was no way I could cover it with my watercolours. But, quick as a flash I came up with an idea. I grabbed my watercolour sample pieces and cut out some flower shapes big enough to cover the words.
These sample pieces are in fact little squares that I have from where I practice my watercolour techniques. And they always come in very useful. I stuck the flowers over the top of the wrong words so that I could write the correct words elsewhere on the page.
You can see the new correct words back on the first photo in this post of the three books.
I was really pleased with myself and in fact I really liked the idea. It gave the book a 3D effect and the page more interest.
With this in mind I decided to use the same technique to alter a colour that I was not happy with in my other book. I had changed my mind so many times on the colour of this little fellow’s ear that the watercolour had become dull, dense and uninteresting.
Sample pieces to the rescue again! I traced the shape of the ear onto another of my watercolour samples, glued it on the top and outlined it. And voila!
I am much happier with it now.
So you see, a horrible error turned out into a new technique, which I will definitely use again.